Tuesday, May 5, 2009

They’re Doing Incredible Things With States These Days...

In mid-March, J and I decided that it was time to take a trip down to Arkansas to see my dad, step-mom and my older brother who also lives down south.

My Dad & Me

My Big Brother & Me

Now I know what you’re thinking...Arkansas = hillbillys with no teeth, cars in the front yard, dating cousins, etc...but to be completely honest, I LOVE IT IN ARKANSAS! It’s beautiful with the Ozark mountains and the weather is awesome in March. And though you do see some cars up on blocks in people’s yards and the occasional cow or goat in the middle of town, I think it just adds to the charm.


We made it with time to spare!

Patiently waiting to board..."just like dad"

We had the pleasure of flying on this trip rather than driving (like the last one) thanks to my dad who took pity on his pregnant daughter plagued by morning sickness at the time. It was especially fun to fly because it was C’s first time on a “big plane.” He was a trooper and despite his stuffy nose and cough, was a great traveler.


C called the window seat!

While we were there, C got to know his step-grandparents and especially bonded with my dad which was awesome to see. When we got in the car after walking out of the airport at 11pm (With no jackets!!! And on green grass!!!) this is the conversation that look place...

C: “Grandpa? What are we going to do tomorrow?”

(silence...)

Me: (starts giggling)

C: “GRANDPA!? What are we going to do tomorrow?”

(more silence...)

Me: “Dad...that’s you...YOU’RE Grandpa.”

So needless so say, my dad’s never been called that before, so it was a new experience for him. It took a little getting used to, but he definitely got the hang of being a grandpa and spoiling his grand-son by the end of the weekend.

We went to see Beaver Dam and drove up into the mountains a little bit.


We also went to see a Civil War battlefield...where the Battle of Pea Ridge took place in case you are a Civil War buff...which I am not.


Just checking to see if it's loaded...C thought this was a great idea.

I was especially “happy” when my dad took C and went to the "Northwest Arkansas Knife & Gun Show" and C came back with a gun. (Okay, okay, it wasn’t that bad...the gun was only an air-soft gun, was only used with adult supervision and stayed in Arkansas when we left.)

When asked what he thought of Arkansas, C noted, “They’re doing incredible things with states these days!” He had a similar sentiment when we stopped at SONIC (my choice!) to grab some lunch...”We get to eat in the car?! They’re doing incredible things with restaurants these days!”

Just a fun snapshot of my big brother J & I. I miss him!

I think the trip was a hands-down success. I am so thankful for my family and that even though there are miles between us, we still have the opportunity to visit. I’m so excited for when our new little one is born and everyone will come up to North Dakota to visit too!

0 comments: